Friday, August 28, 2009

Muur & Berg

I haven't had much time to add meaningful content to this space... and I still don't. Thankfully, friend, teammate and repeat customer Ken Dietch has offered a hell of a ride report after taking his REV-30s to the cobbles of Flanders. Thanks Ken!

-JK

So if your wife says, "I have a weeks confrence based in Bruges, Belgium, if you would like to go, lets get a miles ticket and meet me over there...." You should probably make that plan. I stuffed the R-3 SL in a bike box and jumped at the chance. Woody from Cadence and Chris Pagoda had told me all about riding over there, and I figured I could take a day when Kelly was at work to ride a chunk of the Ronde course.

Here's the skinny on riding over there. 1. You can take a train with your bike. Anywhere. 2. There are 900 miles of marked bike only paths in west flanders alone. All you need is the map to get from point A to point B. 3. The town of Oodenarde has a center of the tour de flanders mueseum, with 3 marked routes totalling 260K that you can ride hitting all of the major climbs for the classics...... 4.Every road has a marked path as well.

I planned my route from Bruges to Oodenarde. Once there, I would link up as many climbs as possible untill i had to get back to Bruges.

This is the Market Square where the Tour starts.


This is a cycling map of the area. You figure out how to get from point A to B by matching up green # signs. Ride from sign to sign, you can't get lost easily. On a 106 mile ride, I was on roads with cars 3 miles.


The bar in the museum of the Tour de Flanders in Oodenarde. 'Nuff said. Cycling on wide screen from opening to close, Belgian Beers on tap, Frites, and Old kits from winners of the tour on the wall. Best bar in the world??????



The pitch of the Koppenberg: 20%. If you have ever gone up the one in philly at the beginning of the towpath, double its legnth, make the cobbles worse, and imagine 100,000 fans..........I asked Brian Walton about this from Cadence. He said the climb isn't the hard part. Its the 5k before on roads just as narrow as everyone is drilling it to get to the front that hurts

Ground eye view of cobbles


Have to give massive shout-out to JK and Andy at Revolution. These things are great! Rev-30 built on a Powertap SL+, They never skipped a beat on some of the harshest terrain you can ride a road bike on. I rode a set of 23mm tires, I'll bet on a set of 27 mm Pave tires they would be even better. I will be training for Cross on these, and racing on a set of Carbon Revolutions this year........



Yup....these are the same roads they race on. Now start bitching about yellow line rules........



The old Kwermont. 2.4K of this...........

No comments: