Sunday, March 29, 2009

Who likes data? Part 1 - Low Profile Alloy Clinchers

I've been playing around with some IBM provided tools that make data look pretty. It's not entirely well suited for what I'm using it here for but it is still fun to play with. I basically pulled together prices and weights for several dozen wheelsets out there. There are obviously many other factors to consider but no other ones that are completely objective. I tried to make my list as comprehensive as possible but it's a crowded market out there so I'm sure I missed a few.

First off, we have a scatterplot comparing low profile alloy clinchers. The two points that look like outliers towards the bottom (low price) left (low weight) are the Rev-22 and 22L. Otherwise, the data is as expected, lower price correlates to higher weight. Mouse over data point to see details.



Next we have the same data in a matrix format that looks pretty cool:


Okay, so it doesn't look very cool here because I can't get it to play well with blogger but if you click on it, it will take you right to the site where it becomes much more useful.

I'll try to post some more of these that show other wheel segments.

No comments: